Calligra Branding Presentation & Draft of Guidelines

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Wed Nov 16 11:47:58 GMT 2011

On 16 November 2011 12:05, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 November 2011 Nov, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Personnaly I agree with the graphical aspect of the logo (ie make sure the
>> logo stands), one slight comment, you define a minimum size in centimeters, but
>> that we might need a size definition for use on a screen (ie website).
>>
>> However, I am very skeptical about the where to use it part.
>>
>> Looking at the legal use for KDE logo:
>>
>> Copying of the KDE Logo is subject to the LGPL copyright license. Trading and
>> branding with the KDE Logo is subject to our trademark licence:
>> * The KDE logo can be used freely as long as it is not used to refer to
>> products other than KDE itself. There is no formal procedure to use it.
>> * Whilst not required you should acknowledge the KDE e.V.s rights by
>> mentioning "KDE, K Desktop Environment and the KDE Logo are trademarks of KDE
>> e.V."
>>
>> And for debian:
>>
>> The logo with “Debian” is released under the following license, due to ongoing
>> concerns about trademarks.
>>
>> Copyright (c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest
>> This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone to refer to the Debian
>> project, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.
>>
>> Note: we would appreciate that you make the image a link to
>> http://www.debian.org/ if you use it on a web page.
>>

>> Personnally I would simply copy the one from Debian, it is simple and covers
>> everything (as the one from KDE trigger a parser error in my mind between the
>> LGPL license and the you can only use it to refer to KDE...).
>>

> Well, I have to see that I really agree with Cyrille. The proposed license document is, I find, complicated, overly restrictive and very unfriendly. I want people around the world to be able to spread their love for Calligra, not force them to fork the brand.
> --

But they do for Qt which has even more formal rules. Where do you see
the enforcement? The guidelines are for exactly opposite reason: to
limit risk of (usually unintentional) fork of visual identity.

Sometimes rules have to be explicit in this unfriendly world, if not
formally then via explicit guidelines.
I am OK with you not happy with this document but it's clear that it
has one of the simplest form within communities.

Compare to
- Fedora http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines
- openSUSE: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Trademark_guidelines
- finally, LibreOffice http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding

Really, I haven't seen forks of these visual identities caused by
complexity of rules.
And yet we have much simpler rules proposed. I'd like to see a way to
end this discussion and move from here to further improvements like
extending the brand to Calligra Engine and alike.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek