Calligra Branding Presentation & Draft of Guidelines

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Nov 15 07:15:23 GMT 2011

On Saturday 12 November 2011 Nov, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Hello,
> Presentation on branding we had today at the sprint:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Meetings/Fall_2011_meeting/Minutes#Branding
>
> Please discuss here about important things like terms of use of the
> logo in the context of the Calligra Project (not about logo as it's
> already decided). The guidelines is a draft!

Well, on the whole, I think these guidelines are way too strict and far away from the free software spirit.

Page 2:

"the product it is used for is made using a documented
procedures of preparing Calligra Suite software as
published on http://www.calligra-suite.org/distributing, "

s/procedures/procedure/, s/of/for/ to make it English. Why does the procedure needs to be document? I'm fine with any distribution packaging Calligra, whether they document their procedure or not.

" official approval is given by KDE e.V. for its use in this
purpose"

I don't think KDE e.V. can do that -- I think it's not the e.V.'s job to decide who can use the Calligra logo when packaging Calligra for a distribution. Before we can have this requirement, we need to verify that with KDE e.V.

"May be used if an official part of the Calligra Suite software
(decided using the rules in 1.) is part of the complete
product, if it is made clear that only this part is officially
approved and compliant with the procedures"

What procedures? And I don't like the "officially" here.

"Permission has been given to use the official Calligra Suite logo
on clothing (shirts, hats, etc) as long as they are made by a
Calligra developer and not sold for profit."

I think everyone should be free to produce t-shirts and what-not with the logo and sell them, even for a profit. I'm even fine with people changing the logo, like was done for the sprint t-shirt.

Page 3:

"Alternatively solid white logo on solid black background can be
used when it better fits. The note about border apply to this case
too."

I wouldn't demand black -- it would mean the sprint t-shirts are in violation :-). Any solid color should be fine, especially for merchandise like t-shirts.

Page 4:

"Always reproduce the complete Calligra Suite logo as the
electronic artwork provides. Do not alter the logo in any way. Do
not redesign it, redraw, animate. Do not alter the proportions of
the logo or rotate it or render it three dimensions. Do not use any
part of the logo as a decorative element, background, or pattern."

I'd be fine with patterns, backgrounds or using it as decoration -- why not?

--
Boudewijn Rempt