Calligra Words mission statement and roadmap (1st draft)

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Nov 14 21:10:28 GMT 2011

On 14 November 2011 21:54, Adam Pigg <piggz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a similar note, imagine the possibility of embedding JS in a document,
> and defining a function such as
> function calligra_version()  { return "2.6"; }
> then, having some kind of user field that contained '=calligra_version()'
> that would display the appropriate content/

For me the use case suggests good thing, eating own dog food, i.e.
using Words for preparing some kind of anouncements. But there is one
thing: some information (here: version number) should be kept
(beacause of it's nature) in some cental medium (cloud?). Having a
variable in single file is so 90's, no sorry, it never was practiced,
because databases and client/server existed before.

All this could be solved with javascript connecting to some central
information, but it's open question if this can work without user
agreement because of security risks: the script should not be able to
connect to internetworks in the background similarly to asumption that
QFile shouldn't be exposed in the script by default.

And yet javascript is good for computation, here need constants only
so we have everything we need in ODF.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek