calligra.org

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Sat Nov 12 07:09:48 GMT 2011

On Friday 11 November 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 11 November 2011 21:48, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 11 November 2011 Nov, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Yesterday, calligra.org became available, so I have snatched it. So now
> >> we have to decide if we want to switch our domain name for the website
> >> from calligra-suite.org to just calligra.org. If we do decide so, we
> >> would keep calligra-suite.org pointing to calligra.org for a little
> >> while.
> >
> > Hard call... There are already so many links to calligra-suite.org, so
> > I'm afraid we will need both for a long time.
>
> I second that.
It is not that a big deal, we would keep calligra-suite.org for a few years,
showing a message like this "The website has moved, please update your
bookmark to http://www.calligra.org/bla/bla/bla. You will be redirected there
in 10 seconds."

Who remembers the original domain name of ubuntu ? (I will let you guess),
they have kept their original DNS for at least a year, maybe two, until they
switch to ubuntu.com. And Ubuntu was allready very much more popular than we
are.

Just to say, that changing the main DNS is not such a big deal, yes sure, it
would have been better to have it a year ago, but we can keep calligra-
suite.org, to avoid a break in the traffic.

So the question really is which DNS is better calligra.org and calligra-
suite.org. Personnaly, I agree with Helder, that calligra.org is much better,
especially since our logo is "calligra", we refer to ourself as the "calligra
project" packages are called "calligra", etc... The "suite" is just the set of
our applications.

> Congratulations on pulling calligra.org back, I'd like to manage the
> same with  kexi.org ;)
It has more to do with luck than anything. I noticed the guy was not doing
anything with it, and was more likely to let the domain dies in August, and
then patience until it was deleted :) For kexi.org, you seem to be in a
similar situation, except that the guy is renewing it, and that the value of
kexi.org is very high (4 letters and sill pronouncable).

--
Cyrille Berger Skott