New logo

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Nov 3 23:47:12 GMT 2011

On 3 November 2011 22:50, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 November 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> Eugene provided the artwork to use, with kind words "do whatever you
>> want with it".
>> As for the LGPL part of: if we collectively agree for the license, it
>> can be official from today (if we agree to be really informal).
>> But just a though: since the Sprint is just in one week maybe you
>> could delay usage of the logo on that distribution or web page so we
>> can make final decision on both topics (artwork, logo/trademark)
>> during the meeting. The outcome would be then one of the news from the
>> sprint.
>> You could use generic Calligra Suite text until then instead (or is
>> this a big problem?).
> LGPL is really a bad idea for artwork... I would suggest CC-BY-SA, which is
> basically like LGPL but for artwork:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

That's would be OK too. But there is another possibility:

For artwork of the (not yet) trademarked logo I propose to consider
having a license which asserts that:
A. the logo is no longer Calligra Suite logo if modified (so it should
be renamed before distributing and not published in context of
Calligra Suite)
B. can only be attached to Calligra software (or any software that it approves)

See [1], that's not hard restriction even for Debian Free Software
Guidelines (DSFG).
Note that there is not restriction added to the (L)GPL software we
distribute, so the software stays (L)GPL,
i.e. Calligra software can still be distributed without the licensed
Calligra logo or with modified one.
In contrast I am not sure we can block distributing (largely) modified
Calligra software under unchanged name.

I conclude it could be possible to restrict the license of logo
artwork independently of registering a trademark.
Restricted artwork is OK for websites and any printed materials, the
remaining question is for needs of Debian (or similar distros) if the
logo has to be displayed in GUIs (I'd like to have it there and
planning suitable place for Kexi for example). There is solution I
mentioned earlier in other thread: we can provide alternative logo,
e.g. made of "Calligra" text using plain KDE's default Bitstream font
and licensed in DSFG-free-compatible way. Alternative logo is is
*exactly* what Debian still does (they offered to give up in 2006 but
the dual logo idea just works). This is what AbiSource does and nicely
explains at [3]. And Joomla! has a nice FAQ on reasoning [4], where
the most important is maintaining sane quality standards and
versioning.

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract
"The license may require derived works to carry a different name or
version number from the original software. (This is a compromise. The
Debian group encourages all authors not to restrict any files, source
or binary, from being modified.)"
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=354622#64
[3] http://www.abisource.com/information/license/personal.phtml
[4] http://opensourcematters.org/index.php?Itemid=159