Purpose of snapshots and calligra-suite.org, subjective look

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue May 24 22:32:54 BST 2011

On 24 May 2011 22:56, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 May 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> On 24 May 2011 19:10, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
>> > calligra-suite.org is definitely aimed at users.
>> >
>> > However, currently we don't have much to offer them. So our message is
>> > aimed at people who are currently visiting the website: ie power users,
>> > KDE advanded users and developers. Gradually, when our releases become
>> > usuable by "normal" users, our message is going to shift to be more
>> > targeted at them.
>> >
>> > Similary, the snapshot is not meant for ordinary users, but for people
>> > who understand what they get.
>>
>> OK, I assumed that's the case but how about
>> * splitting  calligra-suite.org for these two audiences
>> * or even having development/snapshots news published on
>> http://community.kde.org since it's a place for development efforts,
>> more available for editing? Our development is not cathedral, so maybe
>> let's also keep messaging more at baazar level?
> Having activity on c-s.o is very important, since it shows that the project is
> alive. Especially important for a project without a "stable" release.

I am not calling for lack of new content on the site. News and
downloads ab blog entries can appear.
It does not have to be as extreme 'outsource' as the recently
announced Phonon web site [1] but maybe there's no need to have
specific content (e.g. development notes that are changing on daily
basis) spread over separate web sites.

Just a though. At least I gave up with this at kexi-project.org (the
old content is just not reviewed or migated, the new one is entirely
based on community/techbase/userbase).

[1] http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/phonons-new-awesome-website-wallpaper/

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek