The state of Calligra Words (a call for testing)

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Wed May 4 01:52:25 BST 2011

When we merged end of last week the textlayout-branch to master things where
in a pretty bad state. I was surprised how much problems did show up within
last days. I was even more surprised to see how fast they got fixed. Special
thanks here goes to Casper and Thorsten.

Today we are in a state where shipping an alpha of what becomes Calligra Words
3.0 (if 3.0 is the next version what afaik we didn't agreed about yet) will be
possible this week.

This are the things that are open right now;
1. Anchors. This is what Casper was working on within last few days and it
seems to be in a good state. There is one case where we end in an infinite
layout-loop. That case is identified and mostly fixed.
2. Seems for whatever reason headers+footers have sometimes the wrong height
(means are to large). I just figured that out a hour ago and already have an
idea how to fix it. Should be done tomorrow.
3. Undo/redo. While a lot of testing went into loading+layouting+saving there
are still issues with some actions (e.g. insert/remove page) that lead to
crashes on undo/redo. I plan to work on this within next days to restore the
state we had before (no crashes). But then I don't see that as showstopper for
an alpha (or is it even before-alpha?) release.

That's it. So, this is a call for testing. If you have trunk/master and some
time please try to crash Words. We still have some days left to address any
such direct visible problems so our enduser-alpha-testers won't run into
problems to fast. If you found a problem please create a bugreport at
bugs.kde.org against calligra-words and I will take care of it. Thanks in
advance and may the force be with us :-)