GSoC 2011

Algot Runeman algot.runeman at verizon.net
Sun Mar 27 16:47:51 BST 2011

On 03/27/2011 09:39 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sunday 27 March 2011 Mar, Jain Basil Aliyas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on my proposal for this project. As we all know there are a
>> numerous versions of PDF (around 9 afaik). I'd like to know to which version
>> should we intend to export from Calligra Words, and from which all versions
>> we are trying to import.
>>
>> I've heard that various versions of pdf remain de facto standard in some
>> regions. I'd like to get suggestions on this topic from Calligra Developers.
>> :-)
>>
> I'm actually not sure how big the differences are between the various types. I know that fancy features like forms aren't that important. For the importer, having good support for columns, tables, images and text formatting is important, as well as real, life table-of-content, indexes and other tables (those might need some work in the calligra core as well... but that only makes the project more valuable!)

Re: forms
One of the main requests I get is for registration forms in PDF, but to
let the forms be easy to fill out and be sent back. OpenOffice (sort of)
does this through the draw tool. I can "edit" the form, but not just go
through it to fill it out. If/when Calligra  becomes a fully
cross-platform tool, it would be a good selling tool to let people know
it is *the* tool to use for working with online pdf forms.
--Algot

--
Algot Runeman
algot.runeman at verizon.net