Plasma-based presentation view for calligra-stage

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:25:44 GMT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday, March 21, 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
>> On Monday 21 March 2011, Rohan Garg wrote:
>> > org.calligra-suite.stage-2619, thus you will need to keep this in mind
>> > when accessing the interface.I'm also going to send a seprate mail to
>> > the Calligra guys as to why they are appending the process id, since
>> > it just makes dbus calls more cumbersome.
>>
>> since dbus names has to be unique, if stage isn't a kuniqueapplicaton you
>> have to make it unique, so that's just normal
>
> btw, i don't know if it's come up yet but with a DataEngine driven approach
> that the control plasmoid uses for all interactivity, this would make it
> trivial to transfer the control plasmoid onto, say, your tablet, phone, etc.
> with plasma installed on it and control the presentation remotely.
>
> such a DataEngine would want to advertise one source per available (e.g.
> opened in stage) presentation and a control service accessible via
> serviceForSource.

One possibility that has occurred to me is to add mpris support to
stage.  I know this is not what mpris is intended for, but because of
the similarity you mentioned it may be worthwhile.  This, in turn,
would greatly simplify the control applet.  This project could, if
short on time, simply using existing mpris applets.  This would also,
of course, simplify controlling stage outside of plasma as well, make
it easy to control stage remotely (you could use ordinary media player
control applets published to the network), and so on.

-Todd