GSoC 2011

Jain Basil Aliyas jainbasil at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 02:38:15 GMT 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Pierre <pinaraf at pinaraf.info> wrote:

> On Sunday 20 March 2011 10:24:48 Jain Basil Aliyas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
> wrote:
> does
> > >
> > > not

> filter
> > >
> > > this

> these

> > > the

> > > Yes, the words pdf import/export plugin should only use poppler-qt4
> which
> > > is a proper shared library.
> >
> > Okay, I will try to work on poppler-qt4 and investigate its capabilities!
> >
> > > If that doesn't provide enough capabilities, we will probably need to
> > > work together with the poppler guys to improve that situation :-).
> >
> > Scribus uses podofo library <http://podofo.sourceforge.net/about.html>
> for
> > working with PDF. Should I do a comparison study to find out which one
> will
> > suite more for this work?
> Huge warning about podofo : they have no binary/source compatibility
> guarantee.
> It could be complicated to maintain a filter using podofo, except if they
> improve this.
> And even between minor releases, things could break.
> For instance : their GetObjectLength got a new mandatory parameter in
> 0.8.3,
> hence this kind of code :
> #if (PODOFO_VERSION_MAJOR > 0) || (PODOFO_VERSION_MINOR > 8) ||
> (PODOFO_VERSION_PATCH >= 3)
>        if (obj->HasStream() && (obj-
> >GetObjectLength(PoDoFo::ePdfWriteMode_Compact) > 10000)) {
> #else
>        if (obj->HasStream() && (obj->GetObjectLength() > 10000)) {
> #endif
>
> Using podofo will be a bit tedious to maintain the filter, since there
exist a problem as qutoed by Pierre. I found some time to work with
Poppler-Qt4, and feel that it is okay to proceed with it for our work. I
found that Okular's PDF plugin is based on Poppler.

*Jain Basil Aliyas*
**
*
*
Scribus Developer, Google Summer of Code 2010 Participant.
http://blog.jainbasil.net