Plasma-based presentation view for calligra-stage

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Mon Mar 21 04:13:38 GMT 2011

Hello Sinny,

On Monday, March 21, 2011 04:52:08 Sinny Kumari wrote:
> CC'ing to plasma-devel, thanks for the suggestion todd.
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:31 AM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Sinny Kumari <ksinny at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> HI!
> >>
> >> I am working on idea
> >> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_Plasma-based_Presentat
> >> ion_View
> >>
> >> In order to do it, initially I thought, I will use D-Bus for
> >> slideshow, next/previous slide
> >> Later what I understood is that, kpresenter must be running for the
> >> D-Bus call to work which is not a good approach to do.
> >>
> >> Also, I am not sure if I can get huge data like Slide previews through
> >> D-Bus calls
> >>
> >> So, what would be the preferred way to do this? Please suggest me

I see two possibilities here.

1. Use dbus to communicate with stage(kpresenter)

2. Use plasma in stage.

Using dbus has the benefit of stage not depending on plasma. It allows to
develop the project indipendently of stage.
True when using dbus stage needs to be running. It could also be started from
the plasma frontend. The amound of data is not that big so that it would be a
problem to transfer the data via dbus.

If used plasma internally it should be made sure that this is an optional
dependency that is not needed if the user doesn't want it.

Thorsten