PDF-Import and/or PDF-Export

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Sun Mar 20 12:48:32 GMT 2011

On Sunday 20 March 2011 13:25:34 C. Boemann wrote:
> On Sunday 20 March 2011 13:18:28 Pierre wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not totally sure which wiki page you were looking at :-).  I guess
> > > http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_PDF-Import_and.2For_P
> > > DF - Export, right?
> > >
> > > Sebastian Sauer is on holiday right now, but the description has most
> > > of the basics. You need to investigate the poppler library to start
> > > with. The idea is to be able to load PDF documents as editable text.
> > > Years ago, KWord had this ability through using xpdf directly
> > > (http://websvn.kde.org/branches/koffice/1.6/koffice/filters/kword/pdf/)
> > > . However, xpdf causes a steady stream of security issues, so it's
> > > necesary to use a real library for that, poppler. I'm not sure myself
> > > how I would go about it, but I would start browsing the old code and
> > > the poppler api documentation
> > > (http://people.freedesktop.org/~aacid/docs/qt4/). Focus on the import
> > > part first: right now our pdf export is not great, but it works.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I had to parse PDF files for the OpenstreetMap project in france (data
> > could be extracted from PDF generated from the cadastre)
> > I don't know how you plan to use poppler, but for this case, I could not
> > extract any useful information from its datastructures. I instead had to
> > use libpodofo. I don't think you can use poppler for Calligra needs
> > (except if you implement a new poppler backend), but I'd be happy to be
> > proven wrong...
> >
> >  Pierre
>
> Also libpodofo seems the only one remotely capable of generating
> colormanaged pdf, which at least Krita might like
FYI, podofo gives you the code for PDF vector graphics. depending on your needs,
it can be great or terrible :)
That "code" is well documented in the PDF specification. It uses a RPN-like
notation. You push each token on a stack, when facing an operand you pop tokens,
and you are done. It translates really easily to QPainter (circa 3/5 lines per
token I'm really using)...