PDF-Import and/or PDF-Export

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Mar 20 08:06:31 GMT 2011

On Saturday 19 March 2011 Mar, Diego Turcios wrote:
> Hi I was looking at the  KDE Wiki, and I have interest in the PDF-Import
> and/or PDF-Export project.
> I have some experience in QT c++. The project sounds interesting, I will
> like to know am little more about this project.

I'm not totally sure which wiki page you were looking at :-).  I guess http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_PDF-Import_and.2For_PDF-Export, right?

Sebastian Sauer is on holiday right now, but the description has most of the basics. You need to investigate the poppler library to start with. The idea is to be able to load PDF documents as editable text. Years ago, KWord had this ability through using xpdf directly (http://websvn.kde.org/branches/koffice/1.6/koffice/filters/kword/pdf/). However, xpdf causes a steady stream of security issues, so it's necesary to use a real library for that, poppler. I'm not sure myself how I would go about it, but I would start browsing the old code and the poppler api documentation (http://people.freedesktop.org/~aacid/docs/qt4/). Focus on the import part first: right now our pdf export is not great, but it works.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org