Proposal: Promote svg support

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jun 29 12:29:49 BST 2011

On Sunday, June 26, 2011 05:10:27 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Saturday, June 25, 2011 19:45:17 jaham at gmx.net wrote:

> Also how do you see use of an embedded svg object. Is it like the picture
> shape?

It *is* a picture but currently it cannot be handled by the picture shape.
ODF doesn't distinguish between a bitmap image and a vector image.

I once created a proof of concept with a new class KoImage that basically had
the same API as a QImage but which could handle both bitmap images and vector
images. I never finished the vector part because this was during the svn times
and I got too many merge problems when I tried to stay up to date (this was a
slow, long-term project), but the results were promising.

I think this is the way forward, and it could easily use a library like you
are proposing.  Qt itself also has some nice svg rendering classes, but they
do have some problems, especially with embedded fonts.  Ask Arjen for the
details or look at the branch that I was pointing to in another mail. :-)

> Then I guess it makes sense in the very long long run to also make
> the vector shape to convert into the same datastructures so it can save
> svg. I guess that will also speed it up compared to recreate it as it is
> done at the moment. That is not something I think needs to be done now but
> it should be kept in mind when making svg more prominent.

Right now the vector shape only does drawing and doesn't support conversion
into any other format at all.  That shouldn't be very difficult to add,
though.

> Looking forward to see better svg support.

Indeed!

	-Inge