Proposal: Promote svg support

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Sun Jun 26 04:10:27 BST 2011

On Saturday, June 25, 2011 19:45:17 jaham at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi folks...
>
> Before starting on this project I wanted to get some opinions from you if
> that is something to attempt or if that is utter bullshit.

I'm all for it.

> I want to make a proposal to move the svg supporting classes now residing
> in calligra/filters/karbon/svg to a lib in calligra/libs/svg.
> You may ask why I want to do that. The following are some reasons:

I have some technical questions. I think we need support for svg at flake level
(as there is already at the moment). How do you see those to work together
with the svg lib? Would it be needed that the svg becomes part of flake or is
it possible to have it in a separate lib flake depends on?

Also how do you see use of an embedded svg object. Is it like the picture
shape? Then I guess it makes sense in the very long long run to also make the
vector shape to convert into the same datastructures so it can save svg. I
guess that will also speed it up compared to recreate it as it is done at the
moment. That is not something I think needs to be done now but it should be
kept in mind when making svg more prominent.

Looking forward to see better svg support.

Thorsten