Proposal: Promote svg support

Aakriti Gupta aakriti.a.gupta at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 01:35:17 BST 2011

Some of these ideas are close to my GSoC project.
I am working on a new mode in Stage for making animated SVGs. For this a lot
of the stuff in filters/karbon/svg needed to be re-used.

I have already ported the common classes to filters/libsvg (which I created)
and made the classes SvgParser and SvgWriter generic. Now additional
application data can be added to and read from an SVG doc.

I have tested the use of these in Karbon and also for application specific
data of Stage. Works fine for me and I have sent out a patch to Thorsten for
a review too.

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 5:02 AM, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:

> On Saturday 25 June 2011 19:45:17 jaham at gmx.net wrote:
> > Hi folks...
> >
> > I want to make a proposal to move the svg supporting classes now residing
> > in calligra/filters/karbon/svg to a lib in calligra/libs/svg.
> > You may ask why I want to do that. The following are some reasons:
> >
> > 1. Make it possible to have support for loading and saving embedded svg
> > documents in odf files.
> >
> > 2. Support for copy-pasting in svg format.
> >
> > 3. Some shapes may optionally support to save directly to svg via an
> > Interface (i.e. SvgSerializable) to implement.
> >
> > 4. Allow other application to add svg file format support easily.
> >
> > The first and third point is especially important for the artistic text
> > shape. After improving that shape a lot it became clear that there is no
> > way to represent that shape in odf. So I had to remove the old insuffient
> > a) the shape can not be saved to odf,
> > b) copy-pasting of that shape does not work.
> > This has to be fixed.
> >
> > So my intention is to create a svg lib which helps implement the 3 points
> > above and thus move the svg support to a more prominent position.
> >
> > Before starting on this project I wanted to get some opinions from you if
> > that is something to attempt or if that is utter bullshit.
> >
> > Hope to hear from you
> > Ciao Jan

Thanks!

-Aakriti