Proposal for new modifiers/shortcuts system

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 13 13:46:49 BST 2011

On Sunday 12 June 2011 Jun, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As we discussed at the last Krita sprint, Krita needs some common system to
> manage keyboard shortcuts and modifiers. The problem is, different keyboard
> keys should switch tools temporarily and restore the tool when the key is
> released. E.g. we need canvas panning, rotation, color picking, brush
> adjustments.
>
> I was thinking about the design of this system. And i think it is better to
> do it Calligra-wide. That's why I've published its design proposal to
> Calligra wiki:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Libs/Interactional_Tools
>
> Theoretically, all the other tools may be ported to it in the future, but
> this is not mandatory as there are wrappers for old tools left.
>
> So i would really like to hear your opinion about this system. Especially,
> about naming of the classes =)

It looks thorough, and it's a part of calligra that has long needed a bit of streamlining. I'm not sure about the details -- one thing that's important is that I'm not sure that we actually want to stack tools, like paint tool temporarily activates pan tool.

This is the way it's already implemented currently, and it has a couple of disadvantages, most importantly that the tool option widget switches. It's also only used for zoom/pan.

I'd say it's better to have these canvas tools implemented as interaction strategies every tool can use, and not as separate tools.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org