[calligra] libs/main: Show the current working directory by default when starting without args

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Mon Jul 4 22:48:47 BST 2011

On Monday 04 July 2011 15:29:10 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> On Monday 04 July 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Monday 04 July 2011 Jul, Marijn Kruisselbrink wrote:
> > > Why would you want the "current" working directory to be shown when you
> > > start an app from the kde menu and/or krunner or any of many other
> > > places where you invoke the application without having a clear concept
> > > of working directory?
> > >
> > > This might be a nice feature for people that start stuff from the
> > > command line often,
> >
> > Yes, it is a very nice feature, and requested in a three-year old bug.
> >
> > > but it seems like it would break for the much more common use-case of
> > > end-users starting apps from user interfaces...
> >
> > I don't see what it breaks exactly -- the old situation where you'd show
> > the directory from which you last opened a file is confusing, and since
> > the last opened file is in the recent files list it's kind of
> > superfluous.
> >
> > I guess we could make it an option -- either the current working
> > directory as it is now, or the Documents directory, if the application
> > isn't opened with a file. The old situation was just nuts, in my
> > opinion.
>
> we could also have a command line option that say "don't change the working
> directory" (ie --no-current-directory-change). And then edit application
> ".desktop" so that they use the command line option (ie krita --no-current-
> directory-change), this way, when starting from the command line (assuming
> the user don't use the option...) he will get a change of the current
> directory, while when starting from kmenu/krunner it would not change the
> working directory.

just an additional idea;

How about allowing to define a directory as argument and not only a file? Then
somebody could do "calligrawords ." and the current directory would be used as
default for open and save? We could even display the file-open dialog (or
template-dialog) in that case direct on startup.