Qt 4.7 as minimal requirement ?

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 20:23:56 GMT 2011

On 31 January 2011 21:12, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>> As we can remember, this happens again, this time for Words. Before it
>> was for Krita.
>> While I understand the choice is uneasy, I recommend ifdefs and
>> informative warnings...
>> And maybe an update in README.PACKAGERS...
> I don't see it as a bad thing :) Last time, there was some opposition on
> having different requirement for different application. IE, would a
> requirement for Qt 4.8 only for Words be considered a problem ?

No problem with that.
For builds with Qt <= 4.8 I would see this happening:
- on configure stage clear warning shows that Words cannot be built
because unmeet dependencies
- info is presented on how to work around this limitation (like
setting -DWORDS_USE_BROKEN_FEATURE_XYZ=1)

If we're paranoid, we may think about appending "Broken feature XYZ"
to the Word's window title. At lease I would do that if Kexi was
affected.

I guess this covers most cases. Who knows what are needs of ours
users/distributions and what do they use the apps for.

BTW, I was sleeping, what's the feature exactly? ;)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek