Git policy: git merge or git cherry-pick

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:22:15 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Lukast dev <> wrote:

> boud:

> o but then the development branch should never be deleted, otherwise
> we have one big commit that nobody can every bisect anymore and never
> figure out the history of

I'm not sure the latest statement is true. If the branch is merged into
master and then deleted, the history of the branch will still be there. You
will see a "ring" in `gitk --all` interface.

o development branches may not compile sometimes, do we want to see these
commits in master?
o cherry-picking is effectively an equivalent to rebasing, especially when
there are conflicts present.
o cherry-picking and rebasing is not always clean. Example: imagine you did
a merge from master to branch in the middle of the development of the
branch. Rebasing (cherry-picking) of such a branch is not safe.

As for me, i'm almost agree with sebsauer. If you have a small local branch
that will never be published, just rebase it. If you have once published
your branch, you should do no rebasing, cherry-picking or other rewriting of
history.

--
Dmitry Kazakov