Review Request: Moving anchor strategy into text shape

Pierre Stirnweiss pstirnweiss at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:34:19 GMT 2011

> Anyway there will not be that much interaction between the layout and
> So I guess we could make it into a separate text-layout library. But first
> would like a usecase of someone not wanting the full blown layout after
> having
> loaded everything into a library that loads all sorts of formatting
> information.

Well, our main differentiating factor and selling point as always been: look
we have a set of very light weight and very modular libraries you can
use/combine to build your own application with. Now we are pulling into
kotext, layouting logic of shapes, probably header and footer and so on.
I don't think all the use cases of "rich text" really need this full blown
stuff. Laying out formatted text along a line could be done using kotext and
its own layouting "plug-in". Applications which would want to draft very
simple text files (for drafting very simple reports, a very basic word
processor for low age education...) probably wouldn't want all the handling
of other shapes logic. You say Tables will benefit, for text inside a cell?
But will the text-run-around logic be really the same as in the word
processor?

The point is that I think we should be keeping a set of very light weight,
purpose specific and modular libraries. If we would have thought monolitic
from the begining, stuff like calligra mobile wouldn't have been possible at
all. After all, at the time koffice2 started: "running a office suite on a
mobile phone? is it really a realistic use case?"

Pierre