cstester - a tool for testing loading and painting of documents

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jan 19 13:27:07 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 05:46:04 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 18, 2011 14:24:38 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > For Words, how about adding a dump of the text layout and compare
> > that?  That  should be easier (and faster!) than generating and comparing
> > bitmaps. The bitmaps themselves would also not give much added
> > information, especially if the goal is to find faulty layouts which seems
> > to be the biggest problem right now except for crashes.
>
> You see that as an additional feature or as replacement for the image based
> one.
> I relay like to keep the imaged based one as it also tests the code called
> during painting and that is quite different from the internal
> representation.

My original reason for suggesting this is because I think that the image based
test is to fragile.  If one single pixel is moved or changed just a little
bit, the test is failing.  It can also sometimes be difficult to see small
differences in pictures.

Since the dump of the layout will be text based, it will be much simpler to
spot differences.

I guess I see it as an addition rather than a replacement. The picture
approach is probably easier to create but more difficult to evaluate. Or not.
I'm not sure.

Btw, are you going to produce a picture per page or one huge picture per
document?