cstester - a tool for testing loading and painting of documents

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Wed Jan 19 04:44:36 GMT 2011

Hello,

On Tuesday, January 18, 2011 14:21:44 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2011, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm currently working as part of my job for Nokia on cstester a tool to
> > test loading and painting for stage, tables and words. The aim of the
> > tool is to make sure there are no regressions added when features are
> > modified. This is done by loading the document and comparing some pre
> > generated images of the content with created images of the content. Also
> > a good code coverage should be possible to reach by using this method it
> > uses a lot of code when doing that.
> >
> > The idea is to create a document set which contains features and test
> > these documents on a regularly basis.
> >
> > There are still some open questions:
> > - Most important one is how to make sure font rendering is always the
> > same. One idea here is to create a virtual image that can be used to run
> > the tests.
>
> It should be enough that the daily build/test run machine stays
> substantially the same. We can use KO's cruncher1 for that, it already
> runs daily builds and unittests.

I think using ia virtual image would be the best here so it is also possible
to run the tests on a different systems. Running it on the above hardware
sounds like a good idea.

> > - What is the best way to store the test set and images used for testing
> > Should we create a new repository where the documents are stored.
>
> Maybe a new subproject to calligra?

Not sure how good it is to use git as the stuff put there will be documents and
images which are basically binary data

> > Currently it has support for documents which are supported by stage and
> > tables. words is going to follow. Other document types should be easy to
> > add.
>
> Does it scroll through the entire document & also try the different slides
> and sheets?

Yes it goes through the entire document. Also the different sheets are handled.
There is one limitation at the moment for spreadsheed documents as only the
first page of each sheet is takes into account. I will try to overcome this
limitation. For words I plan to also support all kind of documents but I still
have problems with gerating the images there.

Thorsten