How should calligra apps start by default? Was: Re: Don't show template selection ui any longer

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Fri Jan 14 15:11:56 GMT 2011

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> The current template dialog is said to be the result of usability work,
> though I've never seen the report nor the interaction design.

I do believe it's a bad idea to display suich a dialog and seems at least
Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org do not do something like that with there
word-processors.

> We get a lot of negative comments about it -- I remember that Peter
> Sikking (the gimp interaction design maintainer) couldn't keep from
> laughing out loud when he first saw it.

I don't wonder. I still have to find a single person who likes to have that
template-dialog between you and the app in the first place. Also adding an
"unbreak option" (as in a way to hide it per default) doesn't solve it.

So, the real question should be; Do you like either to have such a template-
dialog visible per default XOR not for a) Words, b) Tables and c) Stage. From
the feedback I saw so far clear majority prefers to have the blank page there
in both, Words and Tables, per default. Note that for Stage OO.org displays a
wizard while MSPowerpoint starts with a clean presentation too.

> Apple's office suite also starts with a template browser,

oha, that's interesting. Are you sure they do if you start direct the
applications (e.g. Numbers) or maybe they only do if you start the container-
application (e.g. KoShell)?