2.4 Release Plan

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jan 13 13:15:01 GMT 2011

On Thursday 13 January 2011, Tomas Mecir wrote:
> As a disclaimer, I'm not active in Calligra development currently, so
> my opinion may not be entirely relevant, but hopefully it will be
> useful anyway.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to (at least for the initial release) use a
> different development scheme with an alpha/beta version being released
> every month or so, with no feature freeze in place? It could be more
> work to manage it, but by maintaining a relatively constant stream of
> pre-releases that each contains actual improvements (not only bug
> fixes), you'd keep the general awareness of the project, while at the
> same time having enough time to polish the applications to be end-user
> ready for the first final version (2.4 or 3.0 or however you're going
> to call it).
One of my main concern with that is that I do think that having hard date
gives us a focus. I think "a release when we feel we are ready" tends to make
us go in many directions, because anyway we have time to fix things. While if
you have a date, you have to focus on selecting what you feel is important to
finish and fix before that date.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott