release schedule proposal

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Mon Feb 7 10:11:23 GMT 2011

On 7 February 2011 10:10, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> The discussion seemed to have petered out without a real decision, so here's a really concrete proposal:
>
> * Let's make a monthly calligra snapshot that's advertised as reasonably stable and full of you-need-to-try-this goodness until we are at a point where we can start a real release schedule
>
> * first release: march 1st, from then on every 1st of the month
>
> * internal numbering starts at 2.3.80
>
> * external we call it the "march snapshot", "april snapshot"

Hello,
I have one proposal which requires initial investment but IMHO it's worth it:

Extend the co-installability to the snapshots. What means Calligra not
only can be co-installable with the GroupA-Office but also with the
latest (or any) stable Calligra release. I see value in this and the
effort at the side of packagers would be decreased.
Technical means for this would be using either directory prefixes or
file name prefixes.

Without this effort, we cannot expect many _real_ users of Calligra
will test the snapshots: not everyone compiles by hand. And I see that
many valuable testers won't. To move to the next level[tm] we could
let users running the existing Calligra apps while _completely_
independently testing the snapshot.

A variant of this would be to find contributors (inside/outside) and
provide unofficial repos for the packages that are co-installable.
Then only the stable/beta/rc packages would be distributed using the
standard channels. For example opensuse fanatics could use the suse's
build facilities to deliver the snapshots.

I am not saying all or any of this is feasible with the current
resources, since many of us would need to contribute...
Looking forward to see what you think...

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek