Notes on using Stage

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 7 08:39:25 GMT 2011

Hi,

As you all know, I gave a presentation on Calligra at Fosdem yesterday. There wasn't much audience at 16:00 on a Sunday afternoon, so there's wasn't much response from the audience. But at least nobody heckled me over the split.

Anyway, apart from a few crashers, I've kept notes of what didn't work correctly (or at all) when I created my slides. I can send the slides to anyone who wants to give it a try. It's a fairly hefty presentation, calculated to take forty minutes to present.

stage notes

* sometimes, the notes view shows two notes text shapes on top of each other
* can't see the cursor in the note
* home and end don't work when editing a note
* can't d&d or cut&paste an image
* want to be able to edit slide and notes together in the notes view
* selection invsible in notes
* shortcuts broken: three ctrl-a for select all, two ctrl-b for bold
* bullets in note view too big
* first line small, then all the lines too big font in notes shape on some slides
* new slide button: should default to slide on click, like krita's layer button defaults to new paint layer, instead of showing drop-down menu.
* cut and paste doesn't work correctly between kpresenter instances. You lose font information of text shapes in the selection.
* shortcut to move between notes and slide view!
* split view competely broken: no split, and on removing split, crash.
* cannot reliably select with the mouse in a text shape (only the first word)
* selecting with the curor keys is invisible (unless you start from the beginning of the text, but then as soon as you start selecting text outside the shape box, the selection is invisible again)
* the cursor is amost always invisible.
* sometimes after showing a presentation, the content of the slides is shown shifted to the right, with a large area of the slide on the left hand being white
* when moving between slides in notes view, often the system is confused which note is being shown and edited, showing text from another slide's notes.
* esc does not leave text shapes.
* sometimes on copying a slide or a shape, the font set on the shape is reset to some weird default.
* creating a new slide makes a 44 pt arial look like a 12 pt arial, though the setting is correct in the toolbox
* no way to autorenumber the slides
* stage is very, very slow to load my presentation
* notes view didn't work when giving the presentation

Positive:

* slide sorter is really very nice. But: if I have selected a slide in the slide sorter and go to normal view, I want to view that slide. And double-clicking a slide should go to that slide for normal view as well.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org