git commit template

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 2 20:09:17 GMT 2011

on kde-core-devel, John Layt and Michael Janssen came up with this git commit template:

# ---[ You MUST wrap all lines at 72 characters ]----------------------|
#
# ---[ Please see http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Commit_Policy ]-----|
#
# ===[ Subject ]=======================================================|
# ---[ One line only, short meaningful description to show in logs ]---|

# ===[ Details ]=======================================================|

# ---[ Blank line above intentional. Do not remove ]--------------|
# ---[ Describe what has changed and explain why it has changed ]------|

# ===[ Fields ]========================================================|
# ---[ Uncomment and edit as applicable ]------------------------------|

# ---[ Add Feature to release changelog ]
# ---[ Optionally close a wish in bugs.kde.org as implemented ]
#FEATURE: <optional bug number>
#
# ---[ Close a bug in bugs.kde.org as fixed, with optional version ]
#BUG: <bug number>
#FIXED-IN: <release version>
#
# ---[ Copy commit message to a bug in bugs.kde.org ]
#CCBUG: <bug number>
#
# ---[ Copy commit message to an email address ]
#CCMAIL: <email>
#
# ---[ Close a review in reviewboard.kde.org as submitted ]
#REVIEW: <review number>
#
# ---[ Advise documentation team of user visible changes in the gui ]
#GUI:
#

I would like to add it to our repo by adding it as .commit-template to the repo root.

Then everyone who adds

[commit]
         template = .commit-template

to their gitconfig will have an easy and educational template to fill out when
committing. Any objections?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org