release schedule proposal

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 2 08:35:00 GMT 2011

Hi,

With the removal of kexi, krita and kplato from the koffice.org website, I'm reluctant to continue having krita released as part of KOffice 2.3.x. In fact, even though I'm fairly sure that giving up maintainance of KOffice 2.3 is exactly that TZ wanted to achieve, I don't think we should put any effort in KOffice 2.3.x at all any more. And I'm past caring about all that.

However, I do want regular releases of Krita and Calligra going out. Personally, I want Krita users to get access to all the goodness, in a relatively timely way, but also with relatively stable software. And I don't want to wait until April!

What I propose is this:

* since it's clear that the calligra developers are really grokking git now, mostly working in branches, getting the branches reviewed before committing to master, master is plenty stable [1].

* so, let's release Calligra master every month, called something like Calligra 3.0 Stable Preview 1..n, containing all apps, including flow and words [2].

* that way people can see progress, users can have access to newer versions under the proper name, calligra develops some buzz (which we sorely need -- we know that our git repo is brimming with activity, but that is barely visible!)

[1] Sure, we can improve on that (and I'm working on getting time to help Cyrille expand the scope of the build and test server...) -- but in general, master is pretty good at all times.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org