Application Icons

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 16:59:44 GMT 2011

On 31 December 2011 11:07, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:
> On Saturday 31 December 2011 10:41:28 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
>> On Saturday 31 December 2011, C. Boemann wrote:
>> > Yes I would very much prefer to keep the "old oxygen icon". I had to digg
>> > it up and made a specific commit to get that
>>
>> Ok... May I ask why ? Because, that mean that we need icons that match that
>> one, as it would really be weird to have all the icons looks similar,
>> except for one.
> Because  they contain the KOffice logo
> Because even if we remove the KOffice part they still look way too similar to
> the KOffice icons

I have no problem with that. There's no KOffice in the wild and if it
reappears, it won't be co-installable one. No conflict here otherwise
we'd not agree to have any new artwork with open licensing. (See the
Trinity and Razor that use more or less KDE artwork).

> Because they look like document icons
> Because the icons look way too similar from app to app

We decided to say OK for that in KOffice 2.0 times. They are also very
much like MSO 2007+ icons (differentiation using colors, similar main
shape...) [1]. We decided that's OK.

What we may do is to iteratively improve small sizes by removing all
the shining and clutter for <=32px sizes (this is still what oxygen
authors are not very best at IMHO).

[1] http://bfarber.com/downloads.html&req=display&code=sst&id=3417

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek