Application Icons

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 14:40:05 GMT 2011

On 31 December 2011 10:05, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking into our application icons situation, there are a couple of
> problems.
>
> First of all to the exception of Karbon, Kexi and Krita, we don't have (yet)
> icons in oxygen. And anyway, in case user don't have oxygen (like on gnome),
> we need fallback in hicolor.
>
> Here is our current situation:
>
> words   : old oyxgen icon
> table    : no icon
> stage   : old 1.x icon
> plan     : current oxygen icon with the KOffice logo
> flow      : no icon
> kexi      : no icon
> karbon : old 1.x icon
> krita     : old 1.x icon

I drinked no champagne so far today but I am not sure I understand :)
I do see kexi and krita, etc. icons in oxygen.
So how there's 'kexi : no icon' ?

> My suggestion is that we install in hi color the oxygen icon that we had for
> KOffice application, and remove the KOffice logo from them.

I more or less altered the icons this way already in mid-September for
http://www.calligra-suite.org/wp-content/themes/calligra/images/banners/banner_calligra-2.4-beta.png

Download here: http://kexi-project.org/pics/ads/calligra/icons.tgz

> Also, we probably need
> to contact the oxygen team so that they remove (or authorize us to do it) that
> logo from the Karbon, Kexi and Krita icons, in the oxygen set.

The license is permissive to do that for all the icons. Moreover I am
not aware of any agreement that either of groups {A, B} keeps the
ownership (?) of the icon artwork.

> An other issue, is that the icon for words, stage and plans are called apps-
> words instead of apps-calligrawords. But that is easy to fix.

Naming should be clear, yes. I have no problem with having the same
artwork as for koffice icons.
Who deploys, decide.
I couldn't easily stand another change of the visual identity.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek