Marketing Message for Calligra

Adam C. nospam at xibo.at
Fri Dec 23 00:54:02 GMT 2011

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:41:23 +0100, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>
wrote:

> On 22 December 2011 15:13, Adam C. <nospam at xibo.at> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:04:28 +0100, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the notes.
>>> Please help to improve the alignment by pointing what exactly can be
>>> aligned better.
>>>
>>> If you see 2 or 3 pixels misalignment please read the entire email -
>>> this is a mockup that even uses uselicensed graphics, btw.
>>
>> i've read the mail, thanks for the hint, but it's not just a few pixels.
>> here i tried to display, what i mean:
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2011/12/22/not_aligned.png
>>
>> note that it's not only misalignment, but also the lack of contrast.
>
> this is a svn mockup - your points help me to improve it
>
> Please propose proper place for the 'what is calligra?' item - it
> should stay exposed though.
>
> BTW - yes, installation is important, it is not about downloading an
> exe file - it's a link to page like
> http://www.calligra.org/get-calligra/ which explains all deployment
> methods but in better way (that page is a curiosity for me because of
> the geeky links within the sentences).

is it more important than the 'what is calligra?'
i showed you already a proposal for it, (see my mockup) in the menu at the
top (unlike in my mockup, the text should be all the same font).

>> ah, ok. without body i only count 5 fonts. imo a different font colour,
>> style, size and boldness is also a different font (to some extend).
>> well,
>> ok. it's rather like 'big differneces are ok, but small not'.
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2011/12/22/fonts.png
>
> This is a mockup, if you spot differences this is because there's no
> CSS used, just svg texts, consider all this fixed; and one thing:
> either you have align at the cost of font sizes or you have the same
> font sizes and misalignment.
>
> Single font was used for the top area and two weights.
>
>> i'm not against 3 navigation levels, but for me the mockup looks a
>> little
>> bit messy (no offence). the article is quite old btw (2003) and i guess,
>> there are other articles, which say, that less navigation is better.
>
> Yes but this may be possible by removing content or having separate
> sites. Translates to more clicks and surprises.

not necessarily surprises, but imo we should hide unimportant information.

>>> nice too, but I also see misalignment here and these 3 levels of
>>> navigation...
>>

>> can you point?
>
> Screenshots on the banner are randomly placed.
> Even more important these are all of various sizes (creative chaos?)
> so because there are many of them they are small and thus there's just
> a lot of black and white noise instead of readable text. I always

indeed. there should be something more catchy. we have seen some good
examples on this thread.