Calligra website - how to handle news?

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Dec 22 21:38:27 GMT 2011

Continuing the topic (I'll be rather silent tomorrow and until Monday,
you deserve that...):
How to present the news? From KDE releases we inherited the habit of
static announcements and so often we end up with copying old content
(even with mistakes).

I thought how to address this and in one go also reduce the bloat of
information that targets multiple audiences.

I propose to create explicit blog section and have real Product Blog
there. Where the engine is also the Product.
Example: [1].
And never even show any news on the front page except maybe a small
info about recent versions and important events but that's all. Not an
RSS feed from forum.kde.org about compile bugs... Thus we get to a
point where the ''product page' is welcomes the visitors.

For now calligra.org welcomes the users like a blog site and even
worse - a blog with wide range of topics, releases and technicals like
[2].
Are we again close to the state where personal blogs like [3]
obstructs the original message?

The blog linked should have _any_ development-related topics filtered
out, i.e. to a Project Blog. Development blog could still exist of
course and could reside in the Development section (where the Join
link points in the mockup currently).

Clear distinction: Product / Project.

All assuming the marketing-oriented approach is used.

[1] http://www.netwalkapps.com/app/actionnotes
[2] http://www.calligra.org/news/mini-sprint-about-anchoring-and-text-run-around/
[3] http://www.koffice.org/blogs/thomaszander/philosophical-investigation/

--