Calligra website (Re: "Marketing Message for Calligra")

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Dec 22 20:12:27 GMT 2011

On 22 December 2011 17:21, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 22 December 2011, Inge Wallin wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:35:53 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
>> > I also seriously doubt the front page need an overhaul, yes a new layout
>> > for the bottom part is needed (and almost done as seen in
>> > http://www.calligra.org/homebeta/, and I am hopping to find time to work
>> > on that next week). Same for better use of the "banner" area. We need a
>> > better catch phrase than "The integrated work applications suite", to be
>> > honest, it was place holder for when I started the website last yer.. I
>> > do like the "Desktop", "Tablet", "Mobile" and "Engine" buttons, but
>> > first we need the pages to go with it. However...
>>
>> I think the front page does need an overhaul.  The reason is that it only
>> shows parts of what Calligra can deliver and not even the strongest part.
>> But you will notice that the differences between the two versions are not
>> that large.
>
> The concept behind the current front-page is to be minimilastic, and thus
> follow the example of ubuntu.com and apple.com (among others). A big image,
> with a single message. And then you go down you get the details. Which is what
> we get currently.
>
> I personnally would really want to avoid all the screenshots we have seen in
> this thread, they are just messy, you get 3 or 4 area of attention, which is
> very distracting for the website user. You want to show one message at a time.
> I have yet to see a good website that does not follow that rule.
>
> Since we have multiple messages we want to relay "a suite of application",
> "multiplatform"... The solution would be to use a slide-show, and have
> multiple banners. When I started working on the front page design last year,
> here is what I had come up as idea:
>
> http://cyrille.diwi.org/tmp/koffice/website/banner.png
>
> Instead of those banners, we could have:
> first slide: the applications matrix, to present calligra suite
> second slide: takes calligra everywhere with you and then an icon for desktop,
> tablet and mobile
> third slide: embedd calligra in your own application (and I guess here we
> would need some screenshots of that, we could use konqueror, for instance) and
> Harmatan Office.
> (and we can imagine other slide, like fourth slide: join a vibrant, active and
> welcoming community with a link to the accademy page).

We all have the same idea regarding what to show. But the execution
differs. FOr each of the desktop/mobile phone/tablet/embedded it is
not possible to show even general idea on ~900-px-width-banner. The
screenshots are small and the text is small thus not accessible, as
your mockups demonstrate. This need some work. The idea is to have one
static banner (exactly what you did) but unclutter it a bit, and move
multitude of icons to the right-hand area, where the
imac/handset/tablet/etc. stands. and where slide transitions run.

>> I and Stephanie are working on a new tour now.  If we have time we will
>> also look at the individual application pages and make them more likeable.
>>  My problem is that I am the opposite of a graphics designer.  We need
>> somebody who can do a good graphics design.  In fact I think Jaroslaw
>> could do that but does he have the time?
>
> I can help with the presentation and design part. I will try to find tonight a
> good existing application tour, that we can be used as an example. But
> basically, a succession of screenshots, with very small captions would be very
> good.

Good, show us :)

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek