Calligra website (Re: "Marketing Message for Calligra")

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Thu Dec 22 17:06:09 GMT 2011

On Thursday 22 December 2011, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 22 December 2011 11:35, Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> In order to proceed with the iWork-like changes on the web pages at
> least for one or two apps and the engine I need two main things: 1. a
> feeling I do not waste time on re-entering/fixing HTML after it's
> generated after inserting, 2. Full control at HTML/CSS level because I
> need to create technically advanced but layouts that are visually
> exactly as designed. Now I ended up with more overhead than with a
> 1999's static page.
>
> Let's start with clear requirements (I explained my point of view) and
> do not use some blogging engine because it was easy to set up (that
> was done voluntary by Alexandra IIRC - thanks! - and was natural
> initial step at that time). If we find contributor, she/he would
> probably will want to have a say in the technology area.
But we already have a contributor... And if you want to replace him (which I
would not mind), I would really prefer to get something in the continuity,
switching CMS is not something trivial. Setting one from scratch is already a
lot of work. And in this case, you also have the extra burden of importing
already existing content. Also based on experience, finding such a person is
not an easy task, and if he comes we have to make sure that he is planning on
staying with us for a few years. The last thing we want is someone to come up
with a new cms, make the switch and disappear. And then we end up maintaining
a CMS that no one knows ourself.

With wordpress it is ok for me, since I know wordpress quiet well, so I am
perfectly fine taking care of it. Anything else, well no.

I am still reasonnably happy with taking care of the website, so far. But I do
get tired of the let switch to my pet CMS (drupal, wikimedia,
whateveryounameit) discussions.

The variable thing sounds like a great idea. I will admit that the insert
image dialog is a bit cumbersome, but normally, the available size are the
official one for the website, so you should not try to use something else, and
we use the medium one (500) for pages. And wordpress refuse to do upscaling,
which seems reasonnable to me.

As for the application page. I personnaly will not work on the content, I am
not that good at writting nor taking screenshots. But if someone does it, I am
perfectly happy with putting it together. So if we think that iwork-stye page
is the way to go for our application page, and don't want to deal with the
layout (and you might not be able, since it probably require changes to the
CSS). I am available to take charge of that part. In other word, pick an
application, make three screenshots that show why the application is great,
write a paragraph associated with each screenshot and pick a catch phrase, and
if you want, I will take care of the rest.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott