Help regarding project

Panks pankajxdx at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:44:49 GMT 2011

> Very great. Lot of thanks for sharing your progress. For poppler you may
> like to have a look at http://people.freedesktop.org/~aacid/docs/qt4/ and
> for implementations using it
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/okular-devel/2011-May/009429.html (
> http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=okular.git&a=summary ).
>
> For the initial skeleton what means the very first code to start a
> PDF-importer with I could provide some helping hands to get it done. We
> could start with creating a branch in our git and add a
> calligra/filters/words/pdfimport directory and then copy over the
> Ascii-filter + rename + adapt the CMakeLists.txt + link against libpoppler
> and create the first lines of code that use libpoppler to have a look first
> code that extracts content from a PDF and writes it into a ODT. You can
> ping me at IRC or write a mail to get started on this :-)

Hello Sebastian,

I did little bit of modification in code on my system, I created a new
direcory pdfimport inside calligra/filters/words.I copied import files,
cmakefile and .desktop file from ascii directory and renamed them to
pdfimport.
this is my CMakeList.txt - http://paste.kde.org/176486/
and this is word_pdf_import.desktop file - http://paste.kde.org/176498/
I added the line
> add_subdirectory( pdfimport )
in CMakeList.txt in calligra/filters/words directory. I tried building the
code after this without doing much modification to pdfimport.cpp and
pdfimport.h (the code in them was same as asciiimport.cpp amd
asciiimport.h). Build was successful but I didn't see any change in filter
after launching calligraword, I mean the 'Open Document' window still
wasn't showing the pdf documents neither there was any entry as pdf in drop
down list of filter. So, What all changes do I need to do and in which all
file to at least make pdf file visible in 'Open Document' dialog and make
it accept it?

and, second thing, I was going through the code of asciiimport.cpp, in that
code the input file has been passed to a QTextStream object and appropriate
codec is set to the object.
    QTextStream stream(&in);
    stream.setCodec(codec);

and after that using a QString the lines are being appended to the document-

QString line = stream.readLine();
.
.
.
bodyWriter->addTextSpan(line);

whereas using poppler there is no such straing forward option to get the
text line by line, I think.
One method I could think of was to go to each pdf page one by one and use
QString text(const QRectF &rect, TextLayout)
function to get the text within a rectangle into a QString, but in this
case what value of rect should I pass to the function and apart from this
what other method I can use to fetch the text out of pdf using poppler?
Please give some suggestion.

Thank you :)
*
*
*
*
Pankaj
UG Student *|* Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Madras, Chennai, India