UI suggestion: make grid behind shapes

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Dec 20 09:07:50 GMT 2011

On 20 December 2011 08:14, Yue Liu <yue.liu at mail.com> wrote:

> I investigated a set of commercial diagramming applications and found
> they put grid behind shapes, while currently we're doing the opposite.
> The advantage of making grid behind shapes is the user will have a
> better impression to the shapes they are manipulating, while this may
> cause trouble to creative apps like Karbon and Krita where grid on top
> of shape is needed for tweaking overlap of two shapes, so I suggest
> paint grid before shapes in kopageapp and words while keep the current
> strategy in Karbon and Krita.

Having elements on the foreground has indeed the advantages you
mentions. A good side-effect is that white elements show their
semi-transparency over white background when are on the foreground.

Just for the record for the area of consistency:
in Reports we have most elements above the grid. And naturally in
forms it's always the case except for containers like tab widgets, the
experience is inherited from Qt Designer and dozens of competing apps.

[1] http://www.calligra.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/kexi-2.2-report-design.png

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek