Help regarding project

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Tue Dec 20 08:46:41 GMT 2011

On 12/20/2011 08:43 AM, Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:
> I'd like to point to this thread regarding kde on windows and poppler
> (by the way is there a way in Googlemail to refer to a thread without
> copy/paste it?):
>
> From: *Pierre Stirnweiss* <pstirnweiss at googlemail.com
> <mailto:pstirnweiss at googlemail.com>>
> Date: Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM
> <calligra-devel at kde.org <mailto:calligra-devel at kde.org>>
>

> Just something to keep in mind:
> on windows MSVC, libpoppler is a static library ("because poppler does
> not have import/export thing for the core(private) api" dixit
> pinotree). Libpoppler is not meant to be used directly. For the karbon
> pdf filter this is however what we do. This means that:
> -either we disable the filter on windows MSVC
> -or we link the filter to every library libpoppler was linked to.
> these should be exactly the same ones. that solution is not very
> practical to implement.
>
> So if during the course of refactoring, this could be avoided/fixed,
> all the better.

Welllll...
1. We are going to use poppler-Qt and that is made for being used directly.
2. I do not see a problem with statically included libpoppler in every
shared lib using it on Windows. I mean Windows is certainly the wrong
OS[1] if you try to not duplicate code in libraries/DDL's (I don't mean
that negative it can have advantages like keeping backward-compatibility).
3. I would suggest to either create a patch against libpoppler or to
write a thin API-compatible DLL around it that preserves binary
compatibility. In any case this is 100% out-of-scope of our work
especially since there is the Windows-alternate for Windows to just
duplicate the binary. I mean there are 1001 better ways to invest time
to get the Windows binaries down. One of them is removing expensive
KDE-dependencies (should be way easier when kde-frameworks is in place).

[1] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html - I love the
SimCity workaround cause I love SimCity :-)