RFC: Calligra press kit

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Thu Dec 8 17:41:03 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 20:40:11 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Hi.
> Since bad weather forced me to stay at home instead of going exercising,
> I'm already done with what was originally planned to be a mere set of very
> short guidelines for the names Calligra and Calligra Suite:
> http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Press_Kit_2.4
>
> It even evolved into a (short) press kit that covers a wider array of
> topics potentially interesting for reviewers.

Hi Markus,

A press kit is a very good initiative.  I have had it on my virtual todo list
a long time, but I wanted to postpone it closer to the release since the UI is
changing often and we want to have good and up-to-date screenshots in the
press kit.

> What I have in mind is basically an updated version of that document for
> each major release to complement the regular release announcement. Aside
> from clarifying branding, it also contains a very short outlook to the
> next major version (gathered from mails sent over this list). It's
> obviously not a complete feature list (and not meant to be), just
> something to keep reviewers excited.
>
> How do you like it? Anything to add or remove?

Please don't take what I'm going to write now the wrong way...

While I like the idea of a press kit, and think that we should definitely have
one, I think that the approach you started on is not the best one. The parts
about naming are ok but the information that you provide is not really what a
press kit should contain.

A press kit should make it really simple for somebody to write an article
about your topc while at the same time bring out the message that you want to
spread. It should be more or less a box of lego pieces of text and pictures
that can help the journalist / reviewer build the article quickly. I don't
think that the current text does that.

But what I have most problems with in your current text is the message. It
talks about KOffice, something I don't think we should mention.  But it
doesn't mention that Calligra is the world's leading free office suite on
mobile devices.  And it doesn't have any pictures of course.

But all this is fixable. I have just talked with Stephanie das Gupta and she
has just started to create a tour for the 2.4 release.  I think we can use the
same screenshots for the press kit as for the tour to create a consistent
message. And I think it would not be very difficult to put together a good
message about Calligra. Let's work together to do that.

	-Inge