RFC: Calligra press kit

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 07:05:40 GMT 2011

On 8 December 2011 00:23, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:
> On 7 December 2011 23:53, Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net> wrote:
>> On Mittwoch 07 Dezember 2011 22:54:11 C. Boemann wrote:
>>> I think it looks generally very nice. The part about version 3.0 is
>>> incorrect however. We plan for at least 2.5 and 2.6 before 3.0 neither of
>>> which will include support for new qt or kde. Our release schedule is
>>> every 4 months from now on
>>
>> Well, until Jaroslaw changed it very recently,
>> http://community.kde.org/index.php?title=Calligra&action=historysubmit&diff=16611&oldid=16017
>> said nothing about further 2.x releases. ;-)
>
> I did that exactly to have a placeholder for proposed schedules and
> especially release plans.
>
>> Anyhow, Calligra (and KOffice before) isn't really the most successful project to keep
>> roadmaps and schedules. I don't believe in a 4 months cycle before I see it. ;-)
>
> If we do not split feature plans to more frequent releases, we'll not
> move much further...
>
>> That said with 2.4 pushed to January, maybe February, even when keeping the release cycle,
>> 2.6 would be released in September/October which is already months after the KF5 release
>> in July/August.
>>
>> The recent thread started by Boudewijn about Qt3Support removal sounded a lot like Qt5
>> support is coming earlier rather than later with only Kexi being in question. (I suggested
>> porting the Qt3Support parts required by Kexi to Qt5 but didn't get a reply.)
>
> I think you already get the clue - this is planned but not top priority.
> If it works, do not touch.
>
> I recently found out that things are even worse. QtScript, as I know
> it, slowly disappears in Qt 5 because of the port to Google's V8
> backend, the API going to be a bit different. Such things interfere with
> planning in projects like Calligra. So I discovered that I have to
> delay all the scripting tasks (not just for Kexi forms/reports but for
> generic ODF stuff too) to minimize losing of the resources.
> No wonder then, that the transition may take more time.

For a background please read this comment by the current QtScript
maintainer. No idea what does 'minimal scripting API' mean.

https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-16478?focusedCommentId=159288&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-159288

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek