RFC: Calligra press kit

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Thu Dec 8 01:33:28 GMT 2011

On Donnerstag 08 Dezember 2011 01:54:40 Sven Langkamp wrote:

> Even if KF 5 is released in summer 2012, it won't be in major distributions
> before october.

Yes. With 2.6 targeted around that time I'd make perfect sense to switch to Qt5 then.

> I think the most important thing that we learned from the KDE 4 porting

I don't know how many times that needs to be repeated but KF5 isn't going to be a huge
rewrite. It's still just mostly 4.x without deprecated stuff and more modular compilation
options.
KDE 2->3 was similar.

> it's that you better start late with the porting.

As someone who was also involved with K3b, I can say to you that it was extremely
depressing. Not only was K3b 1.x not integrating at all into Plasma Desktop, it dragged
lots of dependencies with it. At some point distributions rather shipped barely tested,
alpha quality svn checkouts just because they were 4.x-compatible.

KDevelop also lost many users to QtCreator because QtC managed to ship a Qt4 version
earlier than KDevelop did.

> That means that I
> wouldn't start porting before KDE SC 5.0 is released.

There probably never will be a SC 5.0.

> Otherwise it just
> wasting time following a moving target. I think for now it's more important
> to work towards becoming completely ready, than jumping into another port.

Calligra minus Qt3Support should be Qt5-compatible.

Anyhow... as I already wrote, I've changed the paragraph in the press kit to no longer
contain KF5 specifics.
While I think that a 2012 roadmap should be finalized for the 2.4 release, specifics are
out of scope for the press kit anyway.

Markus