RFC: Calligra press kit

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Wed Dec 7 22:53:33 GMT 2011

On Mittwoch 07 Dezember 2011 22:54:11 C. Boemann wrote:
> I think it looks generally very nice. The part about version 3.0 is
> incorrect however. We plan for at least 2.5 and 2.6 before 3.0 neither of
> which will include support for new qt or kde. Our release schedule is
> every 4 months from now on

Well, until Jaroslaw changed it very recently,
http://community.kde.org/index.php?title=Calligra&action=historysubmit&diff=16611&oldid=16017
said nothing about further 2.x releases. ;-)

Anyhow, Calligra (and KOffice before) isn't really the most successful project to keep
roadmaps and schedules. I don't believe in a 4 months cycle before I see it. ;-)
That said with 2.4 pushed to January, maybe February, even when keeping the release cycle,
2.6 would be released in September/October which is already months after the KF5 release
in July/August.

The recent thread started by Boudewijn about Qt3Support removal sounded a lot like Qt5
support is coming earlier rather than later with only Kexi being in question. (I suggested
porting the Qt3Support parts required by Kexi to Qt5 but didn't get a reply.)

Frankly: No way I believe you telling me about a Qt4-based Calligra 3.0 release in
January/February *2013*, roughly a year after Qt4 was EOLed.
Maybe at some point that was agreed on that schedule but didn't know about the Qt5 roadmap
then.

Boudewijn's thread (with replies also by Cyrille) is definitely the more recent
information. And as Cyrille wrote there: When depending on Qt4, you have to do the
maintenance work for it, too. Somehow I don't think anybody is interested in that...

Well, my document doesn't need to be finished now. If a clear roadmap for 2012 hasn't been
decided until a few days before the 2.4 release, the outlook part can also be removed.
It's nice to have but non-vital.

Markus