broken filters in words

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Sat Dec 3 16:12:43 GMT 2011

On 12/03/2011 04:10 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 3 December 2011 15:51, Sebastian Sauer<mail at dipe.org>  wrote:

>>> Yes I vote we remove them from the repository
>>
>> I would prefer to keep them + disable compile + add a comment why / what
>> needs to be done so if someone steps in to add/extend a certain filter
>> he/she could build up his work on an probably already the existing one.
> I wanted to propose that too as this is actually the way what I do
> with obsolete but not yet replaced code.
> But for others it would be enough to look in git history. If so, let's
> create a tag for that revision.

What equals to throwing it in a black hole. Neither will anybody look at
such a specific revision/tag nor will anybody remember and especially
not those who have a look at our code to get into / look what is there /
start contributing.

Some of those filters may sound esoteric but some are rather basic or
even commonly used things. In any case it would be a shame to just
nullify all the work that was done on them and taking any possibility
others could reuse / build up on / port.

It is not like that's lot of code that takes away to much free
diskspace. If the problem is that the code is there and visible without
really working I would propose to move it to an e.g. "not_working" or
"unmaintained" or "xyz" sub-directory under filters/words. That way it's
out of our way while still being visible and direct accessible for those
who look or work on our filters. may that be an idea?