[calligra] /: Qt3Support is also needed in Calligra.

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Fri Dec 2 15:49:35 GMT 2011

On Freitag 02 Dezember 2011 15:45:42 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> I'd like to see plans for backporting KDE 5 modules to currently used
> distros, let's say, all lines of Ubuntu 10.x.

Already released distributions are in package / version freeze. No new packages will be
introduced into standard repositories.
Ubuntu 10.x doesn't contain any version of Calligra at all anyway (only KOffice).

> > So yeah, many users will get Qt5/KF5 pretty soon. I don't think it would
> > be wise to do any Calligra release after summer 2012 that requires Qt 4.
>
> When will this end? With this deployment strategy, again and again we
> lack the stability - constantly (practically) requiring to reinstall
> whole OSes to get minor upgrade for apps.

New major versions of applications do not get included into already frozen standard
repositories anyway (Firefox and Chromium due their development cycle are usually two
exceptions).

If you want to discuss deployment of packages by distributors, contact them.
I merely explained the situation.

> 10.04 LTS  support ends in 04/2013.
No Calligra included.

> 12.04 LTS support ends in 04/2017 - it'll be very very new by the time
> of our release and it will include Qt 4 of course. It's not guessing
> if I say not every apps that use Qt4 will drop Qt4 by the time. Also
> KDE apps. So the distro will include KDE apps v4, right?

Yes, they may include them and never upgrade them within a distribution version to a new
major app release. Ubuntu 12.04 will have Calligra 2.4 in its repos and never upgrade it
for 12.04 to a new Calligra major version.

> Why Linux users cannot have access to installable apps as on other
> OSes and have only to deal with what was available within the time of
> first 1 or 1.5 years?

This mailing list is not the place to discuss how distributors should behave.

> If you tell me that's not your business, I am OK with this. But the
> explanation that users generally constantly upgrade OSes is not the
> answer for me.

Again: This mailing list is not the place to discuss how distributors should behave.
Fact is: Once Qt 5 is released, Qt 4 reaches End Of Life (maybe Digia will continue to
support the closed source version of Qt 4 longer). Still depending on Qt4 for new Calligra
releases after summer 2012 would mean to force users to install Qt 4 and potentially
expose them to bugs in Qt 4 that may never get fixed.

> I don't propose to have Calligra/Qt4 maintenance until 2017 but to
> consider another Qt4-based release after 2.4. We plan to release more
> frequently in Calligra.

Again: New Calligra major versions won't get included in existing standard repositories
anyway.
New major version would be required to be obtained via an unofficial 3rd party repository.
That repo may just as well hold Qt 5 / KF5.

> I see that KDE Workspaces switch in some areas to QML what is not a
> minor update, it's indeed upgrade to series 5 of KDE.

You still do not get that there is not and never ever will be again a software called
"KDE".
Plasma Workspaces 4.8 will already replace some components with QML counterparts.
KPW 4.9 will depend on KF5 but it won't be a complete rewrite. If you want to discuss
Plasma's version numbering, do that on plasma-devel, not here.
All I did was to tell you what Plasma developers discussed. I'm not a Plasma developer and
calligra-devel is the wrong place to discuss Plasma development.

> I cannot assume
> the desktop will be rock stable starting from the .0 release

No Plasma Workspaces 5.0 release is planned at the foreseeable future.
The upcoming summer release will be 4.9 and based on KF5, just as KOffice 1.x were based
on different Qt and KDE libraries.

If you have problems with that, discuss that on plasma-devel.
I'm just the messenger.

Markus