[calligra] /: Qt3Support is also needed in Calligra.

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Fri Dec 2 13:53:31 GMT 2011

On Freitag 02 Dezember 2011 11:25:33 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> We don't know how the KDE 5 will be deployed so would we have a
> transitional Calligra/Qt5 running on KDE/Qt4 before KDE/Qt5 arrives?

There won't ever be a "KDE 5" because "KDE" is not the name of software.
KDE Frameworks 5 (KF5) will be released in summer as part of the regular 6-months cycle
(replacing current KDE Platform 4.x) and Plasma Workspaces 4.9 (KPW) will depend on KF5.
That's the current plan, anyway.

> KDE/Qt5  will appear on real desktops after most applications are
> ported. Will this year or more? No idea. No doubt distros would wait
> for that and won't be trying to repeat the KDE 4.0 story again.

You seem totally disconnected from core development and seem to fill in the gaps in your
information with guessing (I suggest subscribing to kde-core-devel).
KPW 4.9 based on KF5 will be included in all distributions following regular spring/fall
releases as part of the fall 2012 release cycle (Kubuntu in October, Fedora in
November,...).
Canonical is currently even planning to include Qt 5 with Ubuntu 12.04 and ship a Unity
version based on that (they don't want 5 years of maintenance burden for deprecated Qt
4.x). openSUSE 12.2 (ETA July 2012) will at least include Qt 5, although probably not KF5.
Users of rolling release distributions (Arch, openSUSE Tumbleweed, ...) will get Qt 5,
KF5, and KPW 4.9 as soon as they get released.

So yeah, many users will get Qt5/KF5 pretty soon. I don't think it would be wise to do any
Calligra release after summer 2012 that requires Qt 4.

Markus