Season of Usability project

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 16 11:17:54 BST 2011

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 Aug, Duane Phinney wrote:

> No problem I just had no clue that anyone had read it or was working on it.

Yes, that was pretty bad! I'd like to use your mail to propose a possible change in working with bugzilla...

I feel that the unconfirmed state really should be reserved for bugs we cannot confirm.

What I do with Krita is to take the bugs as they come in and triage them immediately. It takes me about two hours a week. If I can reproduce, like your bug, I set the status to "New". When somebody starts working on it, the status gets set to Assigned. And in all cases, I reply to the report -- it's not that much work, but it helps to keep bugzilla useful. And I've found that saying "thank you" for every bug report really helps the reporter-developer relationship :-).

Currently this really is the maintainer's job -- but what we really need is a couple of active bug triagers, like mamarok does for Amarok. Check every incoming bug, triage and reply. For that to happen, bugzilla needs to be in a good shape, and we need a user community, so until then we'll have to do it ourselves.

I think we might also start using the priority field, which currently is unused, as a way to get a list of top priority bugs, and maybe also start using the "junior-jobs" keyword again.

So what I would propose is to use the following workflow for all calligra application and modules:

* bug reported: triage and reply within one week

STATUS:

* if reproducable, move from UNCONFIRMED to NEW
* when somebody starts working on it, move from NEW to ASSIGNED
* if you give up, move back to NEW
* if more info is needed, change the status to NEEDSINFO/WAITING FOR INFO (not RESOLVED/WAITING FOR INFO)

SEVERITY:

wish list: like now, for new feature requests
minor: minor compatibility issues with other apps
normal: as now
crash: crash
major: not used?
grave: makes work impossible
critical: data loss

PRIORITY:

VHI: when looking for new things to do, this is really important
NOR: normal state.
LO: there's no sense in hacking on this if there's still NOR or VHI bugs left, unless you particularly feel like it.

Then, following an idea by Cyrille, we could set up a weekly mail reminder to the mailing list with all the VHI bugs -- that could whip up some interesting in helping out.

--
Boudewijn Rempt