Working with Words...

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Aug 3 13:48:06 BST 2011

Hi,

Some time ago I created a big presentation with Stage and found a bunch of issues. Last week, I actually had occasion to work with Words, and I'd like to share again some of the issues I've found. Some things will be known, but I thought it could be good to focus on them again:

* Editing

	- Editing gets really slow after a few pages. Especially if there's a ToC and if the RDF docker autoupdates.
	- pageup/pagedown is broken again

* RDF

If you play with RDF in words, you get lots of messages like:

"/home/boud/kde/master/bin/calligrawords(408)" Soprano: "Invalid argument (1)": "Cannot add invalid statement"

which is worrying. And also

(Soprano::Redland::BackendPlugin) creating model of type "hashes" with options "hash-type='memory',contexts='yes'"

which just seems to be noise.

* Tables:

Just some random issues:

 - headers that repeat over page breaks: boemann tells me it's possible already, but I haven't seen it work yet.
 - when a table with merged cells spill over the page, the borders for the merged cells aren't painted.
 - text in table cells cannot be aligned vertically.

* Cannot indent bullet lists like this anymore:
	* 1
		* 1.1

* style widgets

	- the character style widget shows paragraph styles and doesn't work
	- the paragraph style widget does seem to to work for selecting styles
	- but neither shows the style active on the text the cursor is on currently
	- need to click on the font size combobox to actually set the font, instead of scrolling through the entries with the cursor and pressing enter

* Images

	- when I insert an image in words using the gui, there's no way to set the anchor or the text runaround. I'm still not sure about the conditions, but once I start editing a document with anchored images, chaos seems to break out.

--
Boudewijn Rempt