The snapshot and the new text layout code.

tz at exit0.net tz at exit0.net
Thu Apr 28 10:58:49 BST 2011

> Today is officially the tagging for 2.4 or 3.0 snapshot 1.  And I hear
> people
> expressing the opinion that the new text layout code should not be merged
> before the snapshot. This worries me.

No need to worry.

I totally agree that the text layout change is a very important change.
Also I have been testing it for the last days and the speed is quite
impressive. However there are still big issues with the new code ranging
form loops to crashes and functionality not yet at the level already
available in the current code. As it is a big change it should also get a
proper review before it gets merged to master.

There is a new snapshot in one month and I would prefer to target that
one. We should not wait till the last minute to get the work into master
and should do that as fast as possible after this snapshot.

I think we should release the old layout code we have now and the new one
with the next layout. With doing it like that we do show that we progree
instead of maybe delivering something not as good as what we have now.
That would not look to good in my opinion. For users it will more look
like a step backward istead of forward.

Thorsten