The snapshot and the new text layout code.

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 10:38:05 BST 2011

Hi,

2011/4/28 Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se>:
> Today is officially the tagging for 2.4 or 3.0 snapshot 1.  And I hear people
> expressing the opinion that the new text layout code should not be merged
> before the snapshot. This worries me.
>
> We do the snapshots for two reasons:
>
> 1. To get feedback on what we have now.
>
> 2. To show some activity and let people know that the project is very active.
>
> I would say that the most important development that we have going right now
> is the new text layout engine. It is crucially important for both Words and
> Stage.  Casper says it is ready, there has been a full-time tester (Swathi)
> testing it for over a week and she says that it is better than the old code.
>
> Yet, if we continue on the set track, the new layout code will not be part of
> the snapshot.  In fact, Casper says that if this happens he doesn't want Words
> to be part of the snapshot at all. This means that reason 1 will be completely
> failed.
>
> So I suggest that we delay the tagging of the snapshot a few days and let
> Casper merge the branch. It only touches two parts of the engine: kotext and
> the text shape.  In addition to that, there are changes in Words and Stage.
> Things may be a little bit unstable, but since Swathi says it is already
> better than before, I think we can live with that.
>
> Most importantly, if we *don't* merge it, we will not have words in the
> snapshot, which to me is failure, *or* we will have lots of feedback on things
> that will be thrown away, maybe even in the time between the tagging and the
> actual release day.
>
> So please, let's agree to merge the text layout code, and if that means
> delaying the snapshot a couple of days, then it's a very cheap price to pay.

Although I'm not involved in any of this, I must say I wholeheartedly
agree. And saying "but there will be a new snapshot in just a month
from which we'll get feedback" does not address the issue you bring up
Inge; you'll be getting feedback on essentially dumped code. Also, a
month is actually quite a long time at the speed with which things
have been moving lately (yes, my units of measurement are mixed up
here, but you get what I mean, and please don't bring up relativity ;)

I'd also say that since this is the very first snapshot, a small slip
in the schedule is arguably more OK now than it would be for any of
the subsequent snapshots.

Anyway, it's up to you guys. Just my 2 öre.

Elvis