koproperty/koreport: sizepolicy and expanding fields

Adam Pigg piggz1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 09:21:47 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Dag Andersen <danders at get2net.dk> wrote:
> Onsdag 27 april 2011 09:31:16 skrev du:
>> On 27 April 2011 09:07, Dag Andersen <danders at get2net.dk> wrote:
>> > Hi, I'm wondering a bit about the properties "Can Grow" and "Word Wrap"
>> > used for the field item. I don't find the functionality very intuitive
>> > so I propose to use a (limitied) SizePolicy property instead of Can
>> > Grow., that implements Fixed and Expanding.
>>
>> Dag,
>> Adam has nice screen shots presenting the properties in real use, what
>> can help. This would be part of end-user (and API?) documentation too.
>> Regarding SizePolicy I believe it's unfortunately exactly opposite:
>> it's counter-intuitive in terms of end-user friendliness, even if this
>> is informal note:
>> - SizePolicy comes not only from developers world (Qt API) and it's
>> hard to even translate meaning of the property to some languages
>> without using full sentence (think: Polish);
>> - SizePolicy comes from QWidget world, there's no reason to harmonize
>> reports with QWidgets API, they differ in terms of media type and
>> level of abstraction.
> Well, it could be named Grow Policy (or someting else...)
>> - as for the simplicity, there is no point of having 2-value enum
>> Fixed/Expanding instead of boolean value Can Grow, which, by the way
>> is OK for someone without QWidget API knowledge (the main user base)
> Depends if you want to control horizontal and vertical expansion separately.
> I can see that Word Wrap defines which way the field grows. But if expansion is
> limited in some way, word wraping should not affect expansion.
>
> (Btw, the use of the word wrap property to control expansion was what I found
> not intuitive.)
>>
>> > Also, imo the expansion should be limited to section size. Horizontally
>> > this would mean page right edge.
>>
>> This is very true, TODO.

Agreed

>> > Vertically I'm not sure, sections seems not to
>> > have a fixed height.

Yes, the point of sections is to be able to grow as required (or
atleast have the ability to)....a 'can grow' property for sections
makes sense, infact, i _think_ msa has that also.

>> Good point anyway with another side point: it would be nice to  have
>> "Can Grow" property for sections too, true by default.
> Hmm, what happens if there is not enough room for the detail section on any
> page, like if e.g. page header takes the whole page?

Yeah, i thought about that also..i think by chance it limits the size
to a page, but its probably undefined.

>> > I have a half working solution but I'd like a go ahead to put more time
>> > into it.
>>
>> OK please show it.

Yes, show us what youve done!